<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Bush's Speech 

Here are President Bush's 5 steps to building a democratic Iraq:
1. Handing over authority to a sovereign Iraqi government.
2. Establishing security.
3. Continuing to rebuild Iraq's infrastructure.
4. Encouraging more international support.
5. Moving toward a national election in Iraq that "will bring forward new leaders empowered by the Iraqi people."

Pretty good huh? That list sort of reminds me of my "5 year plan":

1. Go Back to School.
2. Get a good job.
3. Save money to buy a house.
4. Get married.
5. Plan to have kids.

It's a solid list, with my main objectives to "success", but what has to happen for me to accomplish each? In order to go back to school, I have to get a loan, get my undergrad transcripts, get letters of recommendations, etc. Of course, at that point, I still have to get my Masters, then hopefully get a "good job".

Bush's first point, "handing over sovereignty" sounds good, but who are handing over power to? I hope we can "Establish security", but if we continue to do like we did in Fallujah, and allow the insurgents to get away with standing up to our troops, and then send in Iraqi forces, who are made up of Iraq insurgents, that's no way to establish security. "Encouraging more International support"? Good luck, after the Bush administration ran around calling France and Germany "Old Europe", does he have the guts to ask them for help? Will they help?

Nobody(except the NeoCONS and Bush), thought this would be easy, but I think even Bush's toughest critics, didn't think we would be so inept.

Update:
Tapped has a good analysis of the "Full sovereignty" coming soon to Iraq. Or is it?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?