<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 06, 2004

Convention in Review 

Well, following a few days of post-convention rest, FPN is back, with a wrap up of last weeks events...

This convention was my first and hopefully, not my last Democratic Convention. It was 4 days of fun, and let's just say my liver and arteries saw a lot of action. However, there were a few things going on besides eating and drinking.

Monday-Day 1
I arrived in Boston around 10 AM and immediately headed over to the Museum of Fine Arts for a reception honoring the "Democratic Women of Congress". Speakers at the reception included former Commerce Secretary William M. Daley, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi , Rep. Nydia Velazquez (NY) and Rep. Darlene Hooley (Ore.). Many of the female House candidates were introduced. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Christine Jennings, who is running against Katherine Harris in Florida's 13th District. Jennings, of course optimistic of her chances, claims that Harris really isn't as popular as many think, and that 40% of Jennings' money raised comes from 13th District Republicans. Even if that's the case, I assume the money Harris gets from national GOPers, who still feel they owe her from the 2000 race, offsets any local money loss. (If Harris keeps making statements like these, maybe she is in trouble)

Following this event, I headed over to the Omni Parker Hotel, to meet up with the New Jersey Delegation. I thought it'd be a good "home base" (NJ is my home State, and the hotel was in a good Central location). While at the hotel, there was a cocktail reception welcoming the NJ Delegation. There, I spotted Former Governors Brendan Byrne (thought he was dead), Jim Florio, Congressman Donald Payne and Bill Pascrell and many NJ Assembly Members. After a few beers and more than enough hors d'hoerves, it was time to relax a bit, before I headed to the Bell in Hand Tavern for yet another reception honoring the NJ Delegation.

The Bell in Hand Tavern, located in the Beacon Hill section of Boston, is said to be the oldest bar in America, but didn't look it. I assume they have refurbished the place many times. That being said, the reception was fun: open bar for 4 hours and more appetizers, but few sightings of anyone of importance. I did catch President Clinton's speech on the way to the Tavern. Boy, I wish he was still President (my taxi driver agreed).

Tuesday-Day 2
It was a bit of a rough morning on Tuesday, following the 4 hour open bar. I assume I wasn't the only one in Boston to wake up with a hangover. After the struggle to get out of bed, then a relaxing lunch at a local pub, Tuesday's official Convention events didn't get started until 5 o'clock, with a reception in honor of California Congressman Bob Matsui, held at the Museum of Fine Arts. Matsui has been receiving high praise for his work as Chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Once again, Nancy Pelosi spoke, as well as up and coming Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek. Matsui closed the reception with an update on some of the ongoing campaigns and the DCCC's strategy. Obviously it was a bit of a cheerleading session, but there is much optimism on the Democrats chances of taking back the House. Everyone admits it's a major struggle, but one that could happen. (I can see a Dem gain, but taking it over, I won't go that far). It was a lot of fun to be able to mingle with big Democratic donors, and elected officials, in such an awesome setting. The reception was held in the actual rooms, where paintings and statues are featured, as opposed to a stuffy reception room. Prime Rib and other delicious foods were offered, as well as plenty of beer and wine.

From there, I headed over to the Omni Parker Hotel, to attend a "watch party", with NJ people. It was pretty quiet, I guess most people were actually in Boston to go to the Fleet Center for the speeches, but alas, I was stuck with more prime rib and open bar. I got to hear Ted Kennedy and Ron Reagan's touching speech, but unfortunately missed future Senator Barack Obama's much talked about speech, due to being stuck in a cab. Bad timing.

Wednesday-Day 3
Wednesday was a fun day. Spent the 1st half in Cambridge. I really love the area, very European (ok, I like to say that, but I've only been to England). At 1 o'clock, there was a screening of Brothers in Arms, a film about Kerry's Swift Boat experience, featuring the surviving members, followed by a Q & A with the film's director, Paul Alexander. Alexander has written for Rolling Stone, the Nation, among others. Thought the film was fascinating, not 100% a propaganda piece for Kerry, but close enough. I think it's definintly something to see if you're for Kerry or on the fence. It would shut these idiots up at least. Alexander has been a Kerry supporter for a while now and spoke out against much of the media coverage of him, especially with the accusation that Kerry's "aloof".

From there, I headed back into Boston, for an event at the Four Season Hotel, once again honoring Rep. Bob Matsui. Once again, Nancy Pelosi spoke (she had to be the hardest working person in Boston)and the bar was open and prime rib was served. There were a lot of Members of Congress in attendance, as well as newsman Howard Fineman and his big hair, who was spotted at the bar. From there, dinner in the Faneuil Hall area where I also caught some of the show Hardball being taped. Yes, during commercial breaks, Chris Matthews does shut up.

Thursday-Day 4

Didn't have much on the schedule for Thursday, but hoped to get into the Fleet Center for Kerry's speech. However, for most of the day it didn't look good. Following the speech, I had a ticket to go to Avalon, a club, to attend a party hosted by Rep. Patrick Kennedy, Ted's son.

So, as the day progressed, I was having no luck tracking down a credential for Kerry's speech. A friend, close to FPN, had tried contacting everyone she knew who could possibly get us into the speech, but nothing worked out....Until about 5pm, when we got some good news-a family friend who's an Assemblyman in NJ, had extra credentials! Up to that point, I wanted to get into the Fleet Center, but I was afraid it would be boring. I've never sat through 4 hours of speeches before. However, after finding my seat, and seeing the crowd of pumped up Dems, I was hooked.

Thursday Evening's lineup included:
AFL-CIO President John Sweeney
Rep. Edward Markey-Very inspirational speech, a long Kerry friend from their law school days.
Jack Ford-Mayor of Toledo- Don't remember much.
Senator John Breaux- Great guy.
Rep. Mark Udall-ditto
Representative Jim Davis-Ditto, but also a future Fla. Governor candidate.
Jim Rassman-Delta Force Member, saved by John Kerry-Inspirational speech.
Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton-"Delegate"
James Socas-Running for Congress in Virginia's 10th District. I haven't heard of him either, and can't remember speech.
Kweisi Mfume, President of the NAACP-I must have been getting dinner when he spoke.
Rep. Nancy Pelosi-Hardest working person in Boston. Gave a rousing speech about taking back the House.
Senator Joe Lieberman-Bored to tears. (us, not him)
General Wesley Clark-Great speech on Dems taking back the flag from the Republicans.
Representative Barney Frank-Speech was well received.
Rep. Corrine Brown-Don't remember her speech
Madeleine Albright-Great speech on working with Kerry and Foreign Affairs
Senator Dianne Feinstein-First name has 2 "N's".
Senator Max Cleland-Very emotional speech. Future Secretary of Veterans' Administration (again)?
Senator John Kerry-

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous as I waited for Kerry's speech. The crowd was quite pumped up, but I was fearing a let down. This speech was obviously very important to his campaign, and I was afraid he'd ramble on too much, or not have enough punchlines to get the crowd going. In the end I was not let down. The speech was awesome. Perhaps, I feel this way because I was there, but I don't think so. If he didn't hit a grand slam with it, I'd say it was a bases clearing triple. It made the night even more worthwhile.

When the speech was over and I was headed down the escalator, I was briefly interviewed by a nationally known reporter. It wasn't Kopple or Jennings, it was Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, made famous by the Conan O'Brien show. I've heard there will be a movie/dogumentary starring Triumph, as a reporter covering the Democratic and Republican conventions. Stay tuned for that. If I make it in the movie, I'm the guy getting off the escalator who says "New Jersey".

Immediately following the convention, I headed to Club Avalon, for a party honoring Patrick Kennedy and the New England Delegation. Al Franken was the guest of honor. Franken did not disappoint. As noted on powerline, Franken was quite wasted (he claims "sick") and was rocking back and forth throughout his brief speech. Franken called Patrick Kennedy, "the eighth most impressive Kennedy I've ever met", which was hilarious. He also quoted Dick Cheney's infamous "go f yourselves", many times. After Franken gave up, the 90's rock band Cracker reformed to honor Kerry. (Kennedy noted that Cracker played in 92, after Clinton's speech). It made for a thrilling night.

All in all the trip was a great time. Boston is a fabulous city and was a great host. It was a bit like the twilight zone though, having so many Democrats together at one time. There were few arguments to be had, and there were very few protestors, I guess the GOP were too afraid to protest. This was my first Democratic Convention, but hopefully, not my last.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?