<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Don't Look Back in Anger 

Last night, I rented the documentary Live Forever, which before that moment, I had never heard of. Truth be told, I have no idea how it slipped under my radar screen. I love both music and movies, with "britpop" being among my favorites.

Live Forever explores the politics behind the era (mid 90's) (interesting in itself) and to a lesser extent, the youth culture. A big problem I have with this film is I was expecting much more. It really only explores Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Sleeper and Massive Attack (who is a great artist nonetheless, but hardly fitting in the category-"britpop"). Other than playing a few seconds of a song by each, they didn't even explore Portishead, The Verve and Radiohead, among others.

I did enjoy the candid interviews of Liam Gallagher (who really doesn't care about anything), Noel Gallagher (who was more than happy to take credit for everything-much of it deserving), and Damon Albarn (who came across as smart, but uncomfortable and angry). It reminded me of why I like Tony Blair, and how his rise and optimism help fuel Cool Britannia of the mid-late 90's. While not perfect, Live Forever does have something that every britpop fan can enjoy.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?