<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Spain Myth Debunked 

Alterman helps debunk the myth that Al Qaeda attacked Spain on March 11, because of Spain's support in the invasion of Iraq.

In June Italian police released a surveillance tape of one of alleged planners of the train bombing, an Egyptian housepainter named Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed who said that the operation 'took me more than two and half years.' Ahmed had served as an explosives expert in the Egyptian army. It appears that some kind of attack would have happened even if Spain had not even joined the coalition --- or if the invasion of Iraq had never occurred.

Victor Gavin added that Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed, "Muhammad the Egyptian" as he is known, who calls himself the mastermind of March 11 train bombings in Madrid and was arrested in Milan by Italian police on June 7 was recorded in a phone conversation recorded by the police before his arrest, he said

"The Madrid attack was my project, and those who died as martyrs were my dearest friends...
...
I was ready to blow myself up, but they stopped me, and we obey God's will. I had wanted a heavy burden, but I didn't find the means. This plan cost me a lot of study and patience. It took me two and a half years."

Thus the preparations started at around September 2001

Read more in the New Yorker here.

I think it's time for a whole new set of journalists. The ones we are stuck with now have been corrupted.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?